1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Seen's daily Crazy Facts thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Seen, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Seen

Seen Moderator

Do you think Steve was just trolling us, or did he really not realise that googling the answers was defeating the purpose of the entire thread? :unsure
  2. slick

slick Administrator

I think he knew exactly what he was doing, not so much trolling but trying to be as big a pain in the arse as possible to people he didn't like or agree with him.

Funnily enough I never had a problem with him and actually agreed with much of what he had to say, he showed his darker side though with that comment about Winrew. I don't care who your enemies are; you don't stoop that low in real life so don't do it online.

Unless you're a troll that is:unsure
  3. Seen

Seen Moderator

1. There are approximately 40 million people living in caves in Northern China.
    2. The country Brazil is named after the brazil nut, and not the other way around.
    3. There is enough concrete in the Hoover Dam to build a road across the US from coast to coast.
    4. There is only one STOP sign in the whole of Paris.
    5. There are enough empty homes in China for every person in the UK to have one each.
  4. slick

slick Administrator

Off the top of my head I'd say..

1 true
    2 true
    3 true
    4 false although it's so extreme it's probably true
    5 false otherwise people wouldn't be living in caves:)
  5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I believe that people couold be living in caves in china. Sounds strange but why would you not make use if natural shelter. Sounds entirely feaaible to me. As ever in these things the thing that bothers me is the number. i wouldnt have a fucking clue and i can just see Seen coming back and saying, nope it's only 30 million lol.

The botttom one sounds like something they would trot out when reporting on the great takeover of London property by the Chinese so, yeah i can believe that.

The stop sign initially sounds like it's too strange a thing to be made up. The more i think about it, the more i can see that maybe it's true. If u have other tradfic measures in place then you maybe wouldnt need them. For example i'd say that milton keynes would have less stop signs per mile of road than, say, York.

ive never beem to Paris. Maybe there are just traffic lights everywhere? I dunno but ill say it's true.

That leaves me with a choice of two. On is impossible for me to evem guess at, not knowing the dimensions of either the span of the country or the dam. The other sounds like utter bollocks whixh means it's probably true lol.

Everything about the nut one is screaming NOOOOOOO to me. Are they evem native to Brazil? What the fuck does Brazil/Brasil/Brazilia or whatever evem sound like it could mean in Portugese? Fuck knows. I know (or think anyway) that Bolivia was named after simon? Bolivar (sp) and what Equador was named after and that Paraguay -i think was named after a river.i thought that venezuala was named after a recolutionary but im doubting that now. Nope I can't bear the thought of the piss- taking to come because i actially believed that Beazil was named after the nut. It's the sort if thing you wins up your dumbest work colleague with..... and yet.... no fuck it- untrue.

Phew this is hard work
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Ive just thought of something else. Maybe there are a load of Stop signs in French (Arrette/arrete, sp? from my schoolboy French) but maybe there is actually one sign in English for some reason that actually says STOP.

Could be a trick question. Devious.

I'll stick with the nut but wouldnt be surprised if that turned out to be the answer
  7. Doc

Doc New Member

1. Sounds iffy to me - one in every 30 people or so? And just in northern China - if you think of all the megacities in the south that must leave at most half that population, probably much less than that. So one in 10 or 1 in 15 lives in a cave? Doubt it.
    2. Sounds crazy, but could be true. I could ask some of my Brazilian co-workers....
    3. Probably true or an underestimate. The Dam is mahoosive. I seem to recall some figure about concrete being poured non-stop for 10 years during the building.
    4. Could be a trick question. I know the French have variants on the Anglo right of way concept - e.g. I think on a roundabout there the entering traffic gets right of way, which come to think of I ignored completely last time I drove there a few months ago LOL
    5. Similar to 1, sounds crazy. However, I guess it could include things like resettlement where some poor fecker gets moved from a makeshift shack into a proper house, leaving a vacant 'home'. I remember another story about 1 million households being moved in some big valley to allow the place to be flooded for a hydroelectric dam.

I'm going with 1. as false
  8. traeth

traeth Moderator

I'm following doc and think its number one
    I've been to china and did not see anyone living in a cave , did see some very basic living conditions.
    If two was true , I would have expected to have heard it before
    Three is believable
    One stop sign probably as you leave the British embassy with a proviso " they drive on the right here"
    the chinese have built cities that are virtually unoccupied
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

The British Embassy thing did cross my mind Traeth, very closely followed by the thought that there wiuld also be an American Embassy so why not two of them. Or maybe one if them says "halt'.

I dunno. my brain hurts
  10. Seen

Seen Moderator

Some good reasoning there, guys. I'll reveal the truth later when I finish work :thumb
  11. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

I drive through France quite often, and I'm fairly sure their stop signs do actually say "stop", so don't think there's any kind of trick going on there. Pretty sure what Doc says about traffic entering a roundabout having the right of way is wrong too, their roundabouts work the same way as those in the UK (albeit everything reversed due to driving on the other side of the road). I think they're similar to Spain though in that they have a general rule of if in doubt, give way to the right, which causes constant confusion to a number of drivers when it comes to roundabouts. I've seen signs on the approach to roundabouts which state "CAUTION: You do NOT have the right of way".

Same thing happens here in Spain. Lost count of the number of times I've had to beep some silly old sod who's decided to stop in the middle of the roundabout to let the cars waiting to pull on to the roundabout pull out.

But anyway, I digress.

Number 2 sounds so ridiculous it must be true. 3, I don't know. Just Googled the distance coast-to-coast, over 2000 miles. Can one structure really have more than 2000 miles of concrete? 4 I can believe regardless of the question of whether they say it in English or French. 5 could be one of Seen's trick questions, where he's going to say, actually, there are enough empty homes for everyone in the UK to have 2 each. I'm going to go with 5 as being the false one.
  12. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Well that's something else I would have got wrong then. Like Doc, I thought that Priority a Droit was the done thing in France. Funny thing is, I drove in Germany for a couple of years and can't even remember what the rule was then but I suppose when you're driving a few tonnes of armoured track vehicle, people tend to let you decide what you want to do:lol
  13. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Number 2 is False - no way can that be right

Good logic and reasoning from everyone else as to why the others could be and therefore probably are right given that there is no way number 2 can be right

Therefore I have to conclude - number 2 is false

Just call me Hercule Poirot
  14. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Number 2 is False - no way can that be right

Good logic and reasoning from everyone else as to why the others could be and therefore probably are right given that there is no way number 2 can be right

Therefore I have to conclude - number 2 is false

Just call me Hercule Poirot
  15. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Just been reading to check, apparently years ago it was the norm that traffic on the roundabout had to give way to traffic moving on to the roundabout, but the general rule now is the same as in the UK, traffic on the roundabout has priority. Probably explains though why any time I've been stuck behind someone stopping in the middle of a roundabout it's always been an older driver.
  16. slick

slick Administrator

That crossed my mind but surely it's not that obvious so I didn't mention it.
    I also thought Brazil could be named after a fanny trim instead of a nut and didn't mention that either.
  17. Seen

Seen Moderator

1. There are approximately 40 million people living in caves in Northern China. TRUE!
    2. The country Brazil is named after the brazil nut, and not the other way around. FALSE!

3. There is enough concrete in the Hoover Dam to build a road across the US from coast to coast. TRUE!
    4. There is only one STOP sign in the whole of Paris. TRUE!

5. There are enough empty homes in China for every person in the UK to have one each. TRUE!

1. They are called Yaodong - https://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/shaanxi/xian/farmers-caves.htm

2. Colbro and ODM are correct, I made this one up. Brazil is actually named after the brazilwood tree.

3. Incredible considering it's 2,092 miles from coast to coast (would take a week to drive it at 60mph), but I suppose being 1244 feet long, 660 feet thick, and 726 feet high there's a hell of a lot of concrete in there, whereas on a road it can be a fairly thin spread. Apparently it holds back so much water that it deformed the earth's crust and caused 600 small earthquakes in the decade after its construction.

4. It is situated at the exit of a building company in the rich 16th arrondissement. Although google brings up a blog that suggests it's recently either been taken down or nicked (boy, would Steve have had a field day with this one :p).

upload_2017-9-27_0-4-42.png

5. https://www.globalresearch.ca/china-ghost-cities/5421229 "Vast new cities are being built across China at a rate of ten a year, but they remain almost completely uninhabited ghost towns."
    Punter likes this.
  18. Seen

Seen Moderator

Oh, and I promise not to put up any 'trick' answers too, like 20 million instead of 30 million. I'll only use a change of numbers if it's wildly different, like 20 million and 200.

It's actually quite hard thinking of false facts, as they have to be untrue and sound untrue but also sound like they could possibly be true :help
  19. Seen

Seen Moderator

1. The wife of Tinder co-founder Sean Rad left him for a man she met on Tinder.
    2. By 2025, there will be more English speakers in China than in the rest of the world put together.
    3. Ants nod as they pass each other.
    4. The USA is the 9th-fattest nation in the world.
    5. The average car in Britain is parked for 96% of the time.
  20. traeth

traeth Moderator

my selection
    1. true - if it isn't it should be
    2. true- but their lorries will not be red or yellow
    3. false - animals[ humans apart ] usually perform acts for a specific reason
    4. true-I expect the south pacific nations to be the majority of the first eight
    5. true- it feels like everyone else driving when I am
skybet.com