Seen's daily Crazy Facts thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Seen, Nov 7, 2016.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

The one I'm immediately drawn to are 3 and 5 for opposite reasons. Number 5 just has to be true. Mine is parked up for more than than and we only have one car each. Some people will have more than one and can only use one at a time, definitely got to be true. £ looks so obviously false but, in true Seen's crazy facts fashion, the little "ah but" kicks in:lol. What if they look like they're nodding but they are really lowering their antenae to pick up scents or noise (or whatever they fucking use in the way of navigating) from their fellow ants? So I park that on probably true for now.

4 Is one of those that could be anything. 9th doesn't mean fuck all. Yes of course they are a nation of fat cunts and I wouldn't be surprised if they were number 1, never mind number 9. Can I think of 8 nations who could possibly be fatter? Of course not. I park this one as the one that I'll just chuck in a pile when I've decided on the others.

1 is just one that you want to be true. And why wouldn't it be? Presumably his wife would be aware of his work before others and might possibly have a sneak preview of the thing. It could have even been one of his work colleagues who's face he was using on the prototype or something. I like this one and I want it to be true even if it isn't.

2 I like as true as well. My wife's brother lives in China and teaches English to families. Their economy has been booming like fuck over recent years and they are (I think I saw in some millionaire property show not so long ago) taking over from the Russians as the main buyer of English properties in London. It wouldn't take a leap of faith to believe that someone has estimated the growth of English speakers in the last ten years and extrapolated those figures to come to that conclusion.

So I review my thoughts and the ones I have likely to be true are 5 and 2 and 3 is a possibility. That leaves me with 4 and 1. 1 sounds too daft to be made up...................or does it? Or is it an urban myth. Mmmmm. Are the US actually THE fattest? Possibly. I think I think they are probably higher on the list than 9th so by process of spasmodic elimination I come down on the side of 4 being false.

Final answer Chris
  2. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

.....and I got straight onto google the minute I pressed post.:lol. I usually wait for Seen to post the answers but just couldn't wait this time. Obviously I'm revealing fuck all.
  3. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

I'm going to go for number 2 being false. I'd agree with Traeth in terms of number 4, would expect the Pacific islands to fill the top spots.
  4. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

No way can 2 be true - the rest of the world put together

Nearly every person under 45 can speak english in Europe - and North America (obviously) - probably true of most of central and South America - come to think of it Asia too - which only leaves Africa and I don't see why in this social media dominated world they would be behind

Therefore has to be 2

Which means 1 and 5 have to be right

4 - who knows how you measure such things but is more likely to be right than 2

which only leaves 3 - and I know zilch about science in general - and even less about Biology

so I'll stick with 2 - with 3 as a saver

Nah - I'll just go with 2 - The population of China can't be that large (do they still have a one child per family policy - or was that ages ago)
  5. Doc

Doc Member

1. No idea, and couldn't care less. Will come back to it. Certainly possible.
    2. Doubt this. India growing faster than China and similar population and they have a lot of English speakers. Trump doing his best to send non-English speakers elsewhere! Increasingly English is language of business, so widely taught and spoken
    3. Ants have very big heads. Can imagine that their heads bob when they move, so in that sense they probably nod when passing anything
    4. I know some of the gulf states and micronesia are right up there. I'd believe this.
    5. Sounds high at first. But when you do the sums, that is driving for 1 hour per day (more or less). So quite believable.

So (2) for me.
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Colbro, your're talking shit mate. Nearly everone under the age of 45 in europe speaks English. Naaaaaah.
  7. Seen

Seen Moderator

1. The wife of Tinder co-founder Sean Rad left him for a man she met on Tinder. FALSE!
    2. By 2025, there will be more English speakers in China than in the rest of the world put together. TRUE!
    3. Ants nod as they pass each other. TRUE!
    4. The USA is the 9th-fattest nation in the world. TRUE!
    5. The average car in Britain is parked for 96% of the time. TRUE!

~~~~~

1. I made this one up, although like everyone else I really wish it were true.

2. There are 1.41 billion people in China, which is 300 million more than the whole of Europe (742 million) and North America (362 million) combined. They have recently changed the one-child policy to allow parents to have 2 children, which will presumably have an effect too. Still an incredible stat though (although it's obviously based on expectations rather than fact).

3. It's a way of communicating, I think they rub their abdomens with their antennas which causes their heads to 'nod'.

4. Those of you who though guessed that the fattest nations were those in the South Pacific were correct, 8 of the top 10 were from this region - https://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fattest-countries-forbeslife-cx_ls_0208worldfat.html

5. As Doc has pointed out, 96% of a day equates to around 23 hours, so just an average of 1 hour driving per day.
    Punter likes this.
  8. Seen

Seen Moderator

1. Humans have as many brain cells in their stomachs as cats have in their brains.
    2. A million people live beneath the streets of Beijing in nuclear bunkers.
    3. George Washington's false teeth were made of wood.
    4. The human nose can recognise over 1,000,000,000,000 different smells.
    5. Humans speak more languages than there are species of mammal.
  9. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Like ODM, I went off to Google after posting my guess. With this fact, I found a pretty significant variation on this, but which makes it much easier to believe. In some places online the fact is given as "By 2025, there will be more English speakers in China than native English speakers in the rest of the world put together".

I can certainly believe there will be more English speakers in China than native speakers of English in the whole world. As Colbro said though, by the time you include all those other people in the world who speak English as a 2nd language, it's a lot less believable.

No idea how reliable these sources are, but a quick Google gives this:

1.5 billion English speakers - http://www.stgeorges.co.uk/blog/learn-english/how-many-people-in-the-world-speak-english
    China's population to peak at 1.41 billion in 2025 (edit - I've just realised, that's the same figure you've given as being China's current population) - http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2015-10/07/content_22119396.htm

Even if you say that estimate of 1.5 billion English speakers is on the high side, let's call it 1 billion. Are there really going to be 1 billion English speakers in China in 2025 out of a population of 1.41 billion?

Don't hate me like Steve. I did at least wait until you'd posted the answers before posting this :lol
  10. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

1. I've owned a cat. I can believe that.
    2. Sounds a lot, but among a population of 1.41 billion it's not really I guess. Possible
    3. Sounds a bit gross, but who knows?
    4. Surely not - a trillion different smells? Don't believe that.
    5. I'd be inclined to say this one's false too. Not sure how many languages there are, but I'd go with somewhere around 6000-7000. Don't know how many species of mammal there are, but I'd have thought it'd be more than that.

I'll go with 4, as it's the one I find hardest to believe, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were 5.
  11. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I know that one of the US presidents had false teeth made of wood. Original trivial pursuit question maybe? Dunno but I'll put that in the true basket for starters.

The only way I can think of 1 making any sense is in the sense that we are all made up of cells and the cells that make up our eye start of as exactly the same cells that make up our bell-end. I heard an interesting think once that I've forgotten, as I do most things these days but it was something to do with the average human having so many "x body parts" in their "Y" position. If someone could tell me what the fuck I'm going on about, that would be great. So yeah, too bizzarre to be false so I'll go with my single cell explanation and say yes. I wish I could spell bizarre. Whoops, I just did.

4 could be anything so that goes in the middle for later categorisation (I wish I could spell catagorisation cat fuck it

Actually, I don't know why I'm bothering with this because Number 2 sounds like utter bollocks so I'll just go with that one:thumb
  12. traeth

traeth Moderator

reading these "facts" whilst having my coffee and I think they are all false so I decide to read rc and odm reasoning.
    [ the cells that make up our eye start of as exactly the same cells that make up our bell-end ] by ODM , had me laughing and thinking " japs eye " . rc doesn't say if his cat is spanish or not .

so I'm going with 1 being false

p.s. I hope posters don't think I'm racist
  13. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

My cat was Spanish, if that's any help, Traeth :thumb
  14. traeth

traeth Moderator

A spanish cat with stomach cells like the cells of a dick, it got to be false
  15. Seen

Seen Moderator

Fucking hell - bring back Steve, all is forgiven :p

Nah, you've got a point. I did google this before I posted it up and struggled to find real evidence to support it but it's all based on supposition of the expected boom in ESL market...this link is interesting.

https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/how-the-esl-industry-in-china-is-changing
  16. Seen

Seen Moderator

Whoops, sorry guys, forgot to update this...

1. Humans have as many brain cells in their stomachs as cats have in their brains. TRUE!
    2. A million people live beneath the streets of Beijing in nuclear bunkers. TRUE!
    3. George Washington's false teeth were made of wood. FALSE!
    4. The human nose can recognise over 1,000,000,000,000 different smells. TRUE!
    5. Humans speak more languages than there are species of mammal. TRUE!

~~~~~

1. "Surprisingly, there are over 100 million of these cells in your gut, as many as there are in the head of a cat." - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18779997

2. Crazy but true...http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2017/02/atomic-rooms-beijing-china-housing/

3. This is an urban myth.

4. Wow...http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/03/human-nose-can-detect-trillion-smells

5. Human languages = 6,500.......Species of mammal = 5,416
    Punter likes this.
  17. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Balls:embarassed
  18. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Now there appears to be a brief Hiatus in this thread

I an very comfortable with my comment

If you think otherwise then you are so far out of touch with the modern world it defies belief

Not only do they speak english - they speak it very well - very grammitically correct - and nowadays with a perfectly neutral accent as well

In fact they speak it so well it is almost an insult to call it their "second" language.

It is really their equal first
  19. Seen

Seen Moderator

1. Police cars in Dubai can reach speeds of up to 253 mph.
    2. Ladybirds can fly as fast as racehorses can run.
    3. 1 in 8 Americans has been employed by McDonalds.
    4. There are more stars in our galaxy than there are trees in the Amazon rainforest.
    5. Oasis are named after a leisure centre in Swindon.
  20. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

There are certainly plenty of Europeans out there who do speak extremely good English (I bet they can even spell "grammatically"). I dare say some countries are better than others, I remember going to Germany about 25 years ago and thinking they probably spoke better English than a lot of English people I know. The Dutch too.

But as someone who's lived abroad for the best part of half my life, married into a Spanish family and works with languages on a daily basis and so frequently comes into contact with people who should have at least a working knowledge of English, I think I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of people I live and work with who speak it as well as you describe. No way you can say that nearly everyone under 45 in Europe speaks English (unless by "speak" you mean "knows a few words").