The week that was

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Jun 24, 2017.

1. slick

slick Administrator

We've got a weekend thread so why not have a week that was to reflect on the past weeks events.

Apart from work which I'll come back to later It's been mostly getting the dog to and from the vets.
    She's still in pain and not had her teeth out yet due to things wrong with nearly every part of her body lol, apart from seizures, bad liver, arthritis , strained front muscles because she's a fat cnut etc etc they have now found something wrong with her thyroid and are hesitant to give her anesthetic ffs.
    WTF has she got to lose, she's on more drugs than Bez.
    So we asked to see the owner of the surgery because it's getting fcuking ridiculous, constant visits and cash outlay getting no further on and the dog is still in lots of pain.

He agreed with us and she's booked in next Thursday to get the bad peggies out, If she doesn't recover from the anesthetic I've done my best.

Also during the week I've gone ceiling fan mad due to the warm weather, as soon as the weather heats up I've got to go in the garage and drag the fans out for Moans and the daughter, there must be one in every room of the bleeding house making a racket, hardly hear the telly because of the noise.

So I did a search for silent fans and stumbled across ceiling fans, also found out they are very useful if you have a woodburner because you can reverse them in winter and spread all that heat about that gathers at the top of the ceiling, plus and this was the eye opener modern ones have a remote control, you can dim or turn the light off and on and select various fan speeds without getting of your arse. So I bought one for the living room and all the bedrooms lol.

I've spent the last couple of days installing them which wasn't bad because I've had fcuk all else to do because of no Internet access so the timing was right.
    Was it a good idea? yes I should have done it years ago, no more fcuking about every summer and the flow off them is 10 x more powerfull than the usual manual fans and silent to boot, OK I may have overdone the living room fan because it looks like a Lancaster Bomber has just nose dived into the house but the draft from it is fantastic even on the lowest setting. Happy Days.
  2. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

We've got ceiling fans in all the bedrooms, still got a stand-up one in the living room though. Dog loves the ceiling fan, just flops down underneath it and stays there all day.

What are bad peggies?
  3. slick

slick Administrator

Teeth, must be a Northern thing.

Dog loves the new fans too although she's not sussed out where the airflows coming from yet, she used to fight Moans to get the best seat in front of the stand up fan now she's bewildered and just growling at every fcuker trying to get the best spot.:lol
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

:lol

Are you sure about the fan pushing the warm air down in winter Slick?:unsure I'm not a scientist (honest!) but it sounds like bollocks to me, surely the draft (is if draft or draught? - I'll go for draft) that it creates is going to outweigh any benefit?

I've had a week off work and, although it was purely by accident that it clashed with the U21s and international competitions and Royal Ascot (I honestly didn't know!). I'm not usually a big fan of the big flat racing events like Ascot and Goodwood but I have to say that I've really enjoyed watching some of it (although picking winners in nigh on impossible) in between doing a thousand jobs that I've been putting off for the last 18 months:lol.

Went out for a Turkish meal last night for the first time. Had the hottest thing on the menu (plus about half a stone of chicken that other people couldn't eat) and it was really nice but it resulted in me missing an 8/1 winner at Ayr which I would have spotted had I been at home. Obsessed by gambling? Not me:lookaround
  5. Punter

Punter Moderator

I didn't handle the heat to well this week, i fell out with every fucker.

On the plus side i've only been sober once out of the last 7 nights. My brother has just flown in from Sweden too so i expect that trend to continue.
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

You sure it's the heat?
    Punter likes this.
  7. Punter

Punter Moderator

You starting on me pal, eh, eh? Wanna take this outside eh?
  8. slick

slick Administrator

It's scientifically proven mate.
    There's a switch on top of the fan to put it in reverse which makes the fan swoop the warm air up and spread it round the room.
    Plus as we all know heat rises and it does settle on the top of the ceiling, the fan will give it a gentle shove back down and round again.

I'll find out in winter whether it's a load of bollox or not lol.
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I'll be interested to find out
  10. Seen

Seen Moderator

I've nothing to add regarding last week, as nowt really happened of note, but I do have a fan-related story too from a couple of weeks ago.

I'm a terrible sleeper, my mattress and pillows have to be just right and any kind of light source has to be snuffed out before I go to bed (and even then I have to sleep with a t-shirt over my head to make sure it's really pitch black), otherwise I just can't get to sleep. Heat is also a problem as we live in a dormer cottage and upstairs gets absolutely boiling in the summer (and freezing in the winter), so we've constantly got the pedestal fan on and the windows wide open during the day.

But the fan keeps me awake as it's noisy as fuck and we can't keep the windows open either as we live fairly close to the sea so we get seagulls and they make a right fucking racket at about 5am which obviously wakes me up.

So anyway, I decided to get myself one of those Dyson Cool AM06 fans, they are £250 but I found them reduced to £220 at Argos. They are advertised as being the quietest fans on the market and the reviews backed this up, I know it's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a fan but if it helps me sleep then it's worth it (this was the desk fan, the full tower one goes for £350).

Mrs Seen had a bit of a moan when I told her how much I was paying for a fan, but I promised her I'd win the money back within 2 days. Things didn't go to plan that day as I lost £30 :unsure and she chuntered on a bit more, but the God I don't believe in must have been in a good mood and the following day saw me have a nice win which paid for the fan several times over.

Anyway, the fan is great, I can sleep with it on at up to level 4 (it goes up to 10) and rotates and it creates a nice breeze so I can finally sleep with the windows closed. Not only that, but it's very lightweight with a small footprint, so it can be easily moved around the room or to other rooms if wanted, far better than the cumbersome pedestal fans.

However, last week it developed a kind of squeaking noise when it was rotating, you couldn't really hear it during the day with all the usual background noise going on, but you could at night and it was keeping us awake. Mrs Seen was telling me that I needed to take it back but I said that I should be able to fix it, which didn't go down too well as I have a habit of taking things apart and not being able to put them back together properly. I convinced her that it would be a simple job to take the bottom off and look inside at the mechanism, it was probably something rubbing against the side, of a bit of fluff wedged. The real reason I didn't want to take it back was because like a moron I'd lost the receipt but didn't tell her as she'd start moaning again :lol

Anyway, got the bottom panel off, couldn't see anything obvious, then I realised that the squeaking stopped when I held the fan horizontally, which suggested the problem was with something pressing down. Tried a few things like leaving the bottom panel off but no luck, then I found a long screw in the middle of the base that runs right through the middle, it must keep the top and bottom parts together. Took that out and the squeaking stopped, so I put it back in but didn't fully tighten it and bingo, that's done the trick. It must have been tightened up too much in the factory, not sure how this can't have been picked up at test level for something so expensive.

Anyway, it's all sorted now. Well, until one of the dogs knock it off the box it's balanced on and it breaks in two :lol
    slick likes this.
  11. slick

slick Administrator

Lol.
    Here's me thinking the £140 I paid for one of my fans for the living room was steep.
    I also paid £60 a piece for three bedroom fans, Like you I don't like noise and the bedroom ones give off a buzz so the one in mine is going back, it's only very faint and a lot quieter than a pedestal fan but it's a noise none the less.

I'm going to get another larger one like the £140 quid one because it's got longer blades and completely silent on low but because of the long blades it gives off a lovely breeze over a huge area. remote control too.
    here's the baby..
    fan.jpg

I don't like light either seen when trying to sleep lol, I was in Cyprus once and noticed even in the daytime when the bedroom curtains were shut the room was in complete darkness, I thought I'm gonna get some of those and did, can't remember where from but it was in the UK and they are brilliant.

I also have to sleep with the windows shut because Moans doesn't like insects ffs, the fans make a huge difference, so much so I know wake up fcuking freezing:lol
    Seen likes this.
  12. slick

slick Administrator

Having the dogs teeth out has been a nightmare, I've been living on 3 or 4 hrs sleep a night for nearly a month but since the teeth came out instead of getting better it gradually got fcuking worse up until the point on Monday night I had no sleep at all, I was wreck in work on Tuesday and had to take today off just to try and get some sleep.

She went for a post op check up Monday night, the vet couldn't find anything wrong but gave her a sedative so I could get some sleep, she did go to sleep but by the time I went to bed she was fcuking wide awake and crying, so I gave her a tramadol as prescribed by the Vet, that's on top of another painkiller she's also on.
    Did it calm her down? did it fcuk it was the worst night ever with her pacing about, panting and crying, it was like Chinese torture.
    Moans gets onto the Vets and they tell her to bring her in that afternoon and they'll monitor her, I'm sure the dogs got a six sense because Moans was saying 15 mins before she was due to set off the dog shut up and settled down, she took her anyhow and she was monitored for 8 hrs.
    The Vets said she's fine, he's done numerous tests and he can't find nothing wrong, not even a whimper out of her.

We pick her up and within 5 minutes of getting back home she's off again crying and screaming like a cnut, I'm nearly at my wits end now wishing I had a shotgun.
    So I just Ignored her I'd had enough, by doing this I noticed the intervals between the crying became longer and longer.

Then the penny dropped if she's not in pain it has to be the drugs so I decided to stop them and see what happens, gradually as the night went on she started to get more and more settled, she woke up a few times crying but nothing like the night before.

Today she has been off and on and the Vets phoned about 3pm asking did I still want to bring her in @ 7.30pm for a follow up visit, I agreed.

Come 7.30pm she's practically back to her old self, unbelievable.

I had a chat with the Vet and he agreed she probably cannot tolerate opioids but because the symptoms are the same a pain symptoms it's hard to diagnose so the fcuker was giving her more thinking she was in pain and making it worse.

I didn't kick off because I was just glad he agreed with me and willing to try non opioid drugs if need be.

For the first time in a month I've sat here for a couple of hrs in peace, fingers crossed it's problem solved.
  13. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

:crossfingers
  14. slick

slick Administrator

she's just starting slightly again, she's got OCD anyhow and I'm just hoping it's become a habit she'll soon overcome with a kick up the arse.
  15. Punter

Punter Moderator

Fingers crossed Slick.

We're having a bad week here too, despite me being on 6 days of holiday.

The brother in law is terminally ill. He has cancer in his mouth. The growth on his jaw is terrible to see.

There's an operation he can have but he'll spend the rest of life in a hospice being fed through a tube.. if he makes it. He's a little over 6 stone now and the anesthetist and surgeon think he's too weak for the op and said they think he'd die on the operating table.

The brother in law says he's going to have the op and then he'll recover at home :frown

They've told us 3 to 4 months.

It's real bad for my mother in law. She had four children, she's seen three of them have cancer. One already dead, one dying and another who lives in fear that it might come back again.
  16. slick

slick Administrator

Sorry to hear that Punt.

My boss not long ago lost his wife the same way, she started with nose bleeds and it turned out to be cancer, they thought they managed to catch it in time as the chemo seemed to have done its job giving them the all clear but within months it was back and had spread to her mouth.
    She'd never smoked, drank and was a keep fit fanatic, just goes to show you.

Good luck to him mate, from the sounds of it he'll do well to reach the operating table.
    My heart goes out to the Mother in law too. it puts everything back into perspective just as I was feeling sorry for myself over the bleeding dog.
    Punter likes this.
  17. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear all that Punt - special condolences to your mother in law

As Slick says - puts our day to day worries into perspective.
    Punter likes this.
  18. Punter

Punter Moderator

We knew it was coming but they only confirmed it today (on the day that would of been my sister in laws birthday).

I've got to be at my best for the mrs now. It's beyond me as to how she's coping with it all
    slick likes this.
  19. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

Sorry to here that Punt.

The gut that took the turn at work in 2/3rds if the way through his chemo treatment and he's down to almost skin and bones - lost a hell of a weight.

He's still very positive although he said last week he felt as if he was at deaths door when he was at his lowest. Hadn't ate or drank for about a week and only bodily function that seemed to be working properly was having the skoots.
    Punter likes this.
  20. Seen

Seen Moderator

That's awful mate, and like everyone else has said, puts things in to perspective when we moan about little things.
    Punter likes this.