1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Wood Burners

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Oct 25, 2012.

1. slick

slick Administrator

With the price of gas and electric going through the roof I'm thinking of opening up the fireplace and bunging in a wood burner.

I should imagine the likes of Winrew has had one for donkeys yrs and will recommend what sort of axe I'll need for felling trees but do any civilised urban folk have one that they could recommend and is it worth the hassle?

I'll feel warm just looking at this baby...

[​IMG]
  2. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

That's it Slick, destroy the fucking planet why don't you. That stuff don't grow on trees you know.:frown
  3. slick

slick Administrator

I've looked into that and burning tyres at night has no effect on the rain forest whatsoever.
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Excellent. Looks like it could be a good year for you then.
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Aye, a m8 of mind has dun lops of them on his fire stone so I should be ok.
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Cant beat that. you win. I'm off to bed. Too tyred to post anymore in this tread.

Cant take the pressure
  7. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

Pros:you pay upfront for your fuel,it looks cosy in Winter and complements a period property,it can heat the hallway also.
    Cons:there's no saving on costs unless you can get your wood and coal cheaply,it can be dirty and you need a fireguard which can block some of the heat,or risk the odd log or piece of coal burning your carpet.
  8. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

oops,my mistake-I saw the first 4 words of the last post and thought it was about something Id want to read about..:frown
  9. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

..and you need to get your chimney swept.
  10. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

one thing Im never short of is wood:thumb
  11. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

costs me a bleedin fortune:frown
  12. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

I hope this doesn't count as "hijacking a thread",Steve, or else I can expect more admonishment:eek::unsure
  13. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

I think Im still pissed from yesterday:beer
  14. slick

slick Administrator

lol, modern wood burners have glass doors Steve so there''s no chance a log will fall out onto my lino.
    As for wood supplies, I should be ok on that front as we have skips at work full of the bleeding stuff.
  15. slick

slick Administrator

Right I've took the plunge and attacked the sealed up chimney breast this afternoon with a lump hammer and bolster, the opening thank fcuk is larger than I expected so I might not need to insert a lintel, no draw though so the flue is obviously blocked.

I'm left with the original brickwork, 'arch shaped' support and original fireback and throat, this I think needs to come out unless i opt for a recessed fire I reckon.

I'll get some pcs together to show progress as one bad move here could mean the whole fcuking lot collapsping.
  16. beamer

beamer Moderator

I know a few people with them. Biggest problem is you need decent storage for drying logs if you want some free stuff and some really stink in not properly dried.

A guy I play golf with is just as tight as you and run pipes around the cavity and now fitting out the kids house with them as well, but he has access to tress for free.

I dropped 14 trees last month, cut them up for collection the following day, but every single log was gone by morning.
  17. slick

slick Administrator

Cheers m8, I'll probably take you up on that, I've enough room behind the garage to create a wood store.

I've got a Chimney sweep coming tomorrow to sweep and test the chimney, after I've had a word with him I'll decide what fire to get because the opening is not as big as I had hoped and I don't want to create more work for myself by having to put a lintel in.
  18. slick

slick Administrator

Work never seems to stop on this bastard, It's been a week now and I've got myself an hole in the wall for my troubles, I've been doing a couple of hrs every night on it and every time I finish i look like fcuking Al Jolson, and bastard dust everywhere. thing is soot doesn't really come off with soap and water as it just seems to spread , so i then have to soak in the bath for about an hr.
    I'm full of blood blisters too courtesy of a lump hammer that i keep clouting my hands with.

This weekend I'm hoping to fit the register plate then try my hand at a bit of plastering b4 I get down and dirty and try to make an hearth, that should be fun although I'm beginning to wonder why I ever fcuking started it.
  19. beamer

beamer Moderator

Talking to the two lads who have them at lunch. One guy says he's spending loads buying it in. The other guy dries his for at least 3 years.

Sounds like hard work to me.

Why don't you carry on with the magnet on the meter.
  20. slick

slick Administrator

lol, I've done that a few times b4 but it's just not done in Bury.

I expect to buy some in once its fitted but over the course of a year I reckon I could get a full winters worth of wood from work, I was only coming home yesterday and spotted a skip full of wood ready for the tip, the biggest pain in the arse will be sawing it up but working in Engineering and have access to bansaws I reckon I could gather a stash together over the summer.